What is Chakki Chalanasana or the Mill Churning Pose?
Chakki = Grinder, Chalana = to drive, Asana = Posture or Pose
Chakki Chalanasana yoga posture mimics the movements of a hand-moved wheat grinder, common in the villages of India. It turns out to be a fun and excellent workout for the body!
Are you ready to churn all that fat with Chakki Chalanasana?
How to do Chakki Chalanasana or the Mill Churning Pose
Here is how you can include this pose in your everyday yoga routine:
- Sit with your legs splayed apart. Clasp your hands and outstretch your arms at shoulder height in front of you.
- Bend forward while not straining. Assume that you simply are churning a mill with a stone grinder.
- Now, taking in deep breaths, move your hands in circular motion over your legs or you can do so in a clockwise direction.
You have to inhale while bending forward from the right and exhale as you go backward from the left.
Keep breathing deeply and easily while rotating. Do you feel the stretch in the arms, abs, groin and legs?
Do not overexert yourself while practicing this pose. After the practice, rest your body in Shavasana for 1-2 minutes.
You can also find the detailed instructions in the following video made by Yog4Lyf Yoga Instructor, Mr Arsh
Benefits of Chakki Chalanasana
Easy and fun no? Here are some of the benefits associated with this amazing pose:
- A good preventive asana for sciatica.
- Strengthens the abdominal organs
- Increases blood circulation
- Helps prevent back pain
- Regular practice will help to reduce abdominal fat as well as useful in reducing post-delivery fat.
Excited to do it? Don’t forget to include it in your next yoga session.
Here are some precautions you need to take while doing this pose:
- Beginners remember that don’t go beyond your limits during Asana. Otherwise, it causes serious injuries.
- Do not practice this asana if you have low blood pressure.
- Chakki chalanasana is not recommended for those suffering from severe back, hip, ankle and knee injuries.
- Those who are suffering from severe headaches should avoid this asana.
Chakki Chalanasana duration
You can do 2-3 sets of Chakki chalanasana each day in your yoga practice. 1 set would mean doing 10 round clockwise rotation and 10 rounds anti clockwise rotation.
Take proper rest between sets with deep breathing so that your posture and technique is correct. For good results it is more important to do the asana with correct technique, body posture and breathing rather than doing more rounds.
The numbers that we have shared here is not hard and fast. One should listen to their body and do accordingly. Eg if you are not able to 3 sets then start with 1 or 2 set. If you are not able to to 10 clockwise and anticlockwise rotation, start with 5 or 3 or whatever suits you. But make sure you are doing it regularly and slowly building stamina to do more.
Asana similar to Chakki Chalanasana
- Nauka asana
- Pawwan Mukt asana
More asana that work on stomach fat loss
- Surya Namaskar
- Adho Mukha Svanasana
- Sethu Bandha Sarvangasana
So peeps, get set to have a flat belly and toned belly with chakki chalanasana pose.