Hello friends, hope you are enjoying yoga with us. Today we will talk about Katichakrasana which is a go-to cure if you are troubled by constipation.
PS: Kati Chakrasana is one of the easiest and most important asana in yoga with lots of health benefits. So, let’s find out more about it.
Kati = Waist; Chakra = Wheel, Circular Rotation; Asana = Posture, Pose
While doing Katichakrasana we twist our upper body from the spinal in the standing posture, so in English this asana is known as The Standing Spinal Twist Pose.
This posture doesn’t need much effort to perform or practice. This posture can be practiced by almost every age group with respect to their health status.
How to perform Katichakrasana for constipation
If you are worried about belly fat, practice Katichakrasana everyday and lose fat (weight) in the abdominal region.
Here is how you can perform this yoga pose:
- Stand with legs apart. The trunk of the body is upright and relaxed.
- Clasp the fingers in front of the body and turn the palms downward.
- Throughout the sequence keep the gaze directed towards the clasped fingers.
- Inhaling raise the arms above the head.
- Exhaling bend the upper body, together with arms, forward to the horizontal.
During the following movement of the upper body the arms and back should remain in a straight line.
- Inhaling turn the upper body slowly to the left.
- Exhaling return to the centre.
- Inhaling stand upright again.
- Exhaling return to starting position.
Repeat exercise on other side.
You can also find the detailed instructions for Katichakrasana in the following video by Yog4Lyf Yoga Instructor, Mr. Harsh:
Benefits of Katichakrasana
This asana can be also scheduled as ‘classroom yoga’ and ‘office yoga’ due to its effective approach in dealing with stiffness, fatigue caused by overuse of trunk, neck, and shoulder muscles. You can also cure constipation with Katichakrasana. Here are some of the other associated benefits of practicing Katichakrasana:
- Burns extra fat
Since this yoga pose is a dynamic one, it helps to burn extra calories and fat. Additionally, it helps in managing body weight.
- Helps in toning
This yoga pose tones up the waist, hips, back, neck, and shoulders. Moreover, it makes the region more flexible.
- Relieves physical tension
The twisting movement in this asana induces a feel of lightness and relieves from physical and mental tension.
- Prevents respiratory issues
It effectively expands the chest and ensures appropriate expanding of lungs, thus prevents respiratory problems. It is good for those suffering from asthma, cough, Tuberculosis etc.
How Katichakrasana helps cure constipation?
- Helps in Digestive issues
When practiced along with Tadasana and Tiryak Tadasana, Katichakrasana helps in relieving digestive disorders, it helps in improvising the peristalsis of the abdomen.
The process of doing Katichakrasana provides great twisting effect on the abdominal organs which activates the intestines and other organs in the digestive system. This repeated stretching of digestive tract over a period of few weeks results into breakage of toxins deposited in the digestive tract. And once this toxins dissolve and get excreted from the body the digestive tract takes a breathe of freshness and our body starts feeling relaxation from constipation.
Traditionally, katichakrasana is believed to activate and balance the manipura (solar plexus or navel) chakra because of the twisting of the abdominal region. It helps in boosting self-control, confidence, decision-making, and a sense of purpose.
Contraindication of Katichakrasana
Here are some precautions you need to take while doing this pose:
- Don’t practice Katichakrasana if you are pregnant.
- People with hernia, slip disk, spinal injuries, cervical spondylitis and those who have gone through abdominal surgery recently should avoid this asana.
- If you have high blood pressure, be cautious while practicing Katichakrasana. This practice may cause giddiness and faintness in you.
More yoga asana similar to Katichakrasana
- Jathara Parivartanasana
- Parivita Trikonasana
- Ardha Matsyendrasana
- Supta Matsyendrasana
More asana to cure constipation
- Ardha Matsyendrasana
- Bhujang Asana
- Pavanmukt Asana
- Dhanur Asana
Continuous practice of this asana releases pranic energy, acts as a mood elevator. You can also cure constipation with Katichakrasana as explained in detail in this blog post.
Share with your friends and family to encourage them into doing this magical yoga pose.